Frigid temperatures are just around the corner!
But BEWARE if you use a space heater, an electric blanket or heated car seats to keep warm you are putting your skin at risk!
According to Women’s Health magazine, when your skin is consistently exposed to low-level, infrared heat it can lead to a burn.
The condition is called Erythema ab igne, or ‘toasted skin syndrome’ and it causes skin to become itchy and could even lead to skin cancer.
Dr. Mona Gohara explains, “The infrared radiation is creating a toxic insult to the skin. It’s basically one step before a burn.”
Although experts say it’s safe to use infrared heaters sparingly, the best ways to protect yourself is to avoid them altogether. Read about this in more details by clicking here.
Time to bust out those extra blankets!